Bespoke Leather Goods
With years of experience working as a soft goods designer and his keen interest in the tradition of leather craft, Thomas is happy to discuss custom leather-goods projects you have in mind. Whether you are seeking a fashionable handbag, a custom case or something you've never seen, but only imagined, it is likely a project Thomas is ready to tackle.
Typically, he specializes in high end goods, using traditional techniques to handcraft the leather goods. This can often mean stitching everything by hand, custom dying material, wet forming leather around moulds and finishing the edges by hand burnishing or hand painting.
If you are considering having a custom leather-good crafted in our studio, here are some points to ponder before we begin working together.
- One-of-a-kind items require a complete design process of sketching, prototyping, pattern making, and material sourcing, these aspects must be considered in the final price, not only the labour of making the final product.
- Everything is less expensive when purchased in bulk from wholesalers, but the hardware and materials purchased for your item will often need to be bough at retail prices.
- The process of design to delivery can take anywhere from 3-12 weeks depending on the complexity of the project or the materials that need to be sourced for it.
- If you have budgetary constraints there are some options to reduce costs, such as machine stitching where appropriate and using hardware made from inexpensive alloys instead of the preferred solid brass options.
- If you are requiring a leather good that fits with another product, such as a knife holster or camera bag we may be able to work from photographs and your own measurements, however there may also be times where we need the physical object to insure a proper fit.
This time lapse video shows an overview of the process of designing and making a leather backpack by hand. For your reference, the final cost of this item was $850, some of the aspects which make this a higher end piece would be that it is completely hand stitched and it includes intricate details like the woven pocket, the Persian-lamb side-panels and the turned-wood closure.